2019 Conference Details
We are excited to be holding a new kind of conference for 2019: the "Rest Coast Theological Retreat", taking place on Monday, May 6 through Thursday, May 9, 2019 at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort in Parksville, B.C. on Vancouver Island. Concordia Lutheran Seminary in Edmonton has graciously chosen to partner with BC Church Workers to make this restful, insightful, and enjoyable retreat possible.
The featured speakers will Drs. Jeff Mallinson and Dan van Voorhis. Dr. Mallinson is a theological professor at Concordia University in Irvine, California, and Dr. van Voorhis, a former Concordia Irvine professor, is now a speaker and writer with the 1517 Legacy Project. Together Jeff and Dan are the hosts of the online podcast, Virtue in the Wasteland. They were our featured speakers at the 2018 conference, and return as they lead a thoughtful discussion on “Why People are Leaving the Church and the Church’s Faithful Response.”
Accommodations and Costs
We'll be meeting at Our Saviour Lutheran Church in Parksville (Monday evening) and the Tigh-Na-Mara Resort (Tuesday-Thursday), and staying at the Tigh-Na-Mara (Monday through Wednesday nights). The cost is based on triple occupancy (3 people per cottage or bungalow) and does not include travel. All meals are included except for dinners on Tuesday and Wednesday evening.
Registration fee for BC workers: $285 until January 15, 2019 and $335 after that
Registration fee for Non-BC workers: $350 until January 15, 2019 and $400 after that
Registration fees for BC workers are normally covered by the congregation. There will be a $200 assessment to each BC congregation, as in past years. Each registrant (again, normally through the congregation) will be required to pay the full registration fee of $285 (which includes the assessment amount) ASAP after registering.
Payments are to be made by cheque to the Synod office in Winnipeg (not the District office). They are to be made payable to Lutheran Church–Canada with "West Region Retreat" on the memo line.
Active BC Workers will participate in a travel equalization pool, as we have done in previous years. All participants must bring cash or a blank cheque to work out the mileage equalization costs. Mileage equalization will likely rise $50 from years at Camp Luther.
Emeritus BC workers and workers from outside BC do not participate in the travel pool; all travel costs are your own.
We encourage all attendees to carpool if possible. This will be particularly helpful because of the ferry crossing, where it is much more cost-effective to have multiple people in one vehicle. (Ferries run from the Tsawwassen terminal to Duke Point just south of Nanaimo and from the Horseshoe Bay terminal in West Vancouver to Departure Bay near downtown Nanaimo.)
In order to keep the cost to a minimum the conference committee is requesting the following:
- Carpooling: Because the conference is on Vancouver Island, it is important that people taking the ferry carpool together. Four participants per car would be best. We are working on a location on the Mainland where other cars may be parked while four people travel together in each car to the ferry.
- Flying: Only a handful of participants that are farthest away from Vancouver Island will be permitted to fly. If you are not contacted by the committee about the flying to the conference, plan to carpool on to the ferry with others. We realize this will mean perhaps a very early morning on Monday and a late arrival home on Thursday, but we certainly believe the conference will be worth it.
The Rest of the Important Info
- The proposed program is online now (though is still subject to change).
- Monday's dinner will be at Our Saviour Lutheran Church in Parksville.
- Tuesday evening's pizza dinner will be $10 and then we'll be heading to Mt. Arrowsmith Brewery (all costs there are your own). You'll have opportunity to sign up for both when you register.
- Wednesday's dinner is on your own following free time in the afternoon. There is a restaurant at the resort, but you may wish to eat at another local place.
- Thursday's lunch will be a "to-go" lunch. If you need it before 11am, please indicate that on the registration form and you can pick up your lunch during breakfast on Thursday.
- If you have any dietary needs or other special needs, please indicate that when registering.
- There will be space on the registration form to indicate any preferences you might have for roommates. The organizers will try their best to accommodate all requests, but cannot guarantee all requests will be fulfilled.